08 Feb 2011 Leave a Comment
Week 3: Cars
What was your first car? Describe the make, model and color, but also any memories you had of the vehicle.
My first car was ….. I remember what it looked like but not the make and model! Does that mean I’m old and forgetful? The color was cream. I had roll down windows, since this was the early 1990′s. I believe I was able to drive it later in my junior year of high school.Tweet
04 Feb 2011 Leave a Comment
Amy Coffin of the We Tree blog came up with a weekly challenge to write your personal genealogy and history. I am a little behind in writing mine so over the next week I’ll get caught up.
Week 1 – New Year’s
Did your family have any New Year’s traditions? How was the New Year celebrated during your childhood? Have you kept these traditions in the present day?
As a child my parents would let us stay up to ring in the New Year. We ate pizza rolls, had soda and other treats. I remember watching the ball drop in Times Square.
In the present day I end up going to bed before midnight but wake up at midnight when the neighbors start shooting off fireworks. My husband stays up with the boys, who don’t always make it to midnight either.Tweet
24 Jan 2011 Leave a Comment
Now that you have begun gathering information on your family, it is time to do a little writing. The best place to start is with your parents. Here are a few questions to get you going. After you conduct the interview, write up a short story about what you learned.
- What is your full name?
- When and where were you born? What hospital?
- What are your parents names?
- When and where were they born?
- When were they married?
- When did you get married?
- What schools did you attend growing up?
- What was your favorite subject?
- Where did you live growing up?
- Did you go to college? Where? What did you study?
- What are the names of your siblings?
- What are their birth dates? Who did they marry and when?
- What is your occupation?
- What did your parents do for a living?
- Did your parents go to college?
- Are you right or left-handed?
- What color are your eyes?
- What color is your hair?
- What about your parents eye color?
- If you are interviewing your mom, ask her what her maiden name was.
After the interview is over, write a short story about your parents’ lives. This is the beginning of the story of your family.Tweet